Butch’s Best Pork Souvlaki
To make this twist on the Greek classic, marinate cubes of pork shoulder in lemon juice, garlic, and oregano. Grill the pork on skewers and serve with yogurt-tahini sauce and warm pita bread.
- 1 pound pork shoulder, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup tahini (optional; if not using, substitute Greek yogurt)
In a medium bowl, combine pork, oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, garlic, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour (or up to 8 hours).
In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, cup lemon juice, tahini (if using), and 1 to 2 tablespoons water (sauce should have the consistency of heavy cream).
Heat a grill or grill pan to high. Thread pork cubes onto 8 metal skewers. Grill until brown on all sides and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Serve souvlaki with yogurt sauce and lemon wedges.