Grilled Bratwurst Sandwiches with Caraway Sauerkraut
To serve up this favorite Midwestern sandwich, grill precooked bratwurst sausages until golden brown and serve on hard rolls with spicy brown mustard and bread-and-butter pickles. Make the classic side dish by sauteing red onion in butter and then stirring in sauerkraut and caraway seeds.
- Oil, for grates
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for rolls (optional)
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, well drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 precooked bratwurst sausages (3 ounces each)
- 4 hard rolls, halved horizontally
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 cup bread-and-butter pickles
- Potato chips, for serving
Heat grill to medium-low; lightly oil grates. In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add sauerkraut, sugar, caraway seeds, and 1/2 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Simmer until sauerkraut is heated through, 3 to 5 minutes; set aside.
Grill sausages, turning frequently, until golden brown and warmed through, 10 to 12 minutes.
Grill rolls, cut side down, until warm, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread lightly with butter, if using, and mustard. Halve sausages lengthwise; fill each roll with 2 halves and pickles. Serve with sauerkraut and potato chips.